Monday, May 30, 2016

Heracles and Telephus WIP, Part 1


My next work is a pencil drawing of Heracles and Telephus.  Heracles (or Hercules) is obviously the well-known Greek hero, while Telephus is his son by Auge, daughter of King Aleus of Tegea.  This is based off a statue that stands in the Huntington Gardens in Los Angeles, California.


This is drawn on smooth Bristol paper.  I outlined the statue with light lines with a 4B pencil, and defined the shapes with very light shading.  After fixing any mistakes I had made, I darkened the outer lines further and filled out the shading with an HB pencil.  This was all done with a light and careful hand, so that mistake could be easily erased.  It's one of the big advantages of smooth Bristol.  Another plus is that you can get nice and detailed in the final stages of the drawing, which I will cover in my next update.


Reference photo of the statue.

No comments: