Monday, May 16, 2016

Seraphim WIP, Part 3 - Finished!


The Seraphim painting is done and finished!

After Part 2 of the painting, I had about half the feathers laid in on the wings, and the foreground and background partly blocked in.  A few yellow outlines were still showing through as yellow-green.

I filled in the wings first and defined most of the feathers.  While I was doing that, I used some of the blue to tidy up and hide the remaining outlines.  Then I put one or two touches on the man, and put a medium tan down for the ground, and defined the fiery hole further.  The spit of land the man was lying on was at an odd angle, I bulked it up and added the man's shadow.  I touched up the feathers that looked out of place and added white to the Seraphim's blinding face.  Finally I filled in the sky, being careful not to make it too saturated or colorful.


I was pleasantly surprised by how well the painting turned out.  It's a common occurrence with me; I beat myself up about the early stages of a painting, and then it turns out not so bad.

There was not a specific theme or message to this painting.  I wanted to show a man in awe at being shown even a sliver of the power of a Seraphim, a creature beyond human comprehension in its entire and true form.  This would be the angel showing its most simple facet, a part of its being that a merely mortal mind could digest.  I do want to have specific themes for this kind of paintings; they will come in the future.

No comments: