Monday, August 22, 2016

Port Jackson Pup

I like the Port Jackson shark.  It's a goofy little shark that lives around the coasts of Australia.  They grow to 30-36 inches in length and use their broad, flat teeth to crush and eat mollusks and echinoderms.  You can read more about them on their page at the Australian Museum's website.

I drew the outline in HB and laid down the lightest layers in 2H and HB.  I reinforced the darker areas (the harness patterns and overshadowed tail section) with another layer of HB.  Then I put down the darkest areas with a 4B pencil.  The final steps were shading in a minimal background in 2H, and using the 2H pencil to burnish the dark areas to make them less grainy and smoother.

This was another step in my practice for my upcoming creature design class.  Tune in next time for another animal drawing.

No comments: